Rent and Utilities

Evictions: There is a nationwide ban on evictions through June 30 for tenants who can show they can’t pay rent because of pandemic-related income losses. You MUST sign a specific statement saying that and give it to your landlord. Find out if you are eligible and read the statement here: Eviction FAQs. This means that if you get a “pay or quit” notice, you may NOT have to move. Contact your landlord instead or call Virginia Poverty Law Center at 1-833-663-8428 or Legal Services of Northern Virginia at 703-778-6800. You may be eligible for money from the state of Virginia to cover rent payments due since April 1, 2020 and for the next three months, 15 months in all. Your landlord can apply for you. You may get help with rent through Arlington County or THRIVE. Call 703-228-1300. Arlington County will NOT share your information with anyone. Find out more at

Utilities: You may be able to avoid disconnections by utilities (electricity, natural gas, sewer and water) by calling to work out a payment plan. Call Arlington County’s Economic Independence Division at 703-228-1350 to ask about assistance. Help with water and sewer services bills: Now you can fill out a form online to get help from Arlington County with overdue bills: .